Hello virtual colleagues :-)

A while ago, whilst working on a social networking / learning project, I came across an interesting
sounding term: Collaborative
Intelligence
[link to one of my pages].

It sounded an interesting concept and I contributed a few ideas (to the above page).
However, the more I searched for concrete examples in "collaborative
intelligence" the more convinced I became that there's not a lot
happening in this area.

Does anyone have any concrete examples of exciting work taking place in collaborative intelligence?
Does anyone have a good definition of what it is?
Is it hype or something concrete?

Views: 195

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear John, I just found your Healthcare argument and had to use a Collaborative Intelligence word in my blog.

Here is a perfect example of what happens when the government does not use collaborative intelligence and systems analysis. I hope all discussions would be unemotional, professional and
rational.
Dear Nellie,

I cherish an intelligent thoughful exchange of ideas and opinious.

I also cherish honesty and integrity. These are the qualities that I look for in all people.

JJC
Me too. Here is a link to something Interesting:
Oops, my link was
www.isss.org.
I was going to mention that same thing. Collaborative intelligence seems to be a glorified, although a pretty cool, term for collaboration. I would say that any single task that relies upon the varying skills of different people would be collaborative intelligence. If you are into music, consider the rock band Led Zeppelin. Would they have become such a cultural icon if Page's guitar, Plant's lyrics, Jones' bass, and Bonham's drums were not fused so tightly to produce that unique Led Zeppelin sound? The bottom line is, the collaboration of talents resulted in a final product that is an example of collaborative intelligence. If you were to look into any of the musicians' solo projects, they are all distinguishable from Led Zeppelin as a whole.
Dear Jeffrey,

My understanding is that collaboration not on the level of being an expert and intelligent person at the same time is just a collaboration of anybody whatsoever. That collaboration can lead to very grave consequences.
Thanks Daniel.

It sounds like CQ [or CI] is what we would probably expect from any form of collaboration. Do you know of any examples where the intelligence aspect is focused on specifically? I'd be really interested in that. Thanks.
Hi, Daniel,

It looks like we are using our common sense and biases together with the knowledge defining CI.

I can see why you would define CI as more collaboration, then intelligence. You ,probably, believe that
anyone can participate and solve problems,no one should get excluded.

There is another approach, that complex problems(in economy, education ) require different solutions.
Any intelligent person can contribute, but to solve it you need a different type of a CI, where you would bring an extensive knowledge of information, research,practice, politics, statistics,decision making, systems analysis, modeling,implementation model,and computer processing.

I wonder why Adam referred to it as a collaborative stupidity? Sounds funny !
Hee hee - yeh I like to add a little humour sometimes.

There's a term called Group-Think and [I think in a wiki definition] it illustrates how group think can sometimes come up with the wrong answers (or at least sub-optimal answers). We're experiencing a big example of group think disasters at the moment - the banker induced collapse of the economy.
Hi, Daniel,

Have a look at the Complex Task question from Turkey http://www.futureofeducation.com/forum/topics/complex-tasks
A collective intelligence through collaboration defines it a bit better for me. I'm not sure if this is what you had in mind but an example would be using Twitter as a side or back channel during a lecture so that people can post their "big ideas" or critical thinking about a lecture topic, then aggregate the information after wards to achieve a "collective intelligence" about a topic. Instead of a student writing his or her own deep thinking about a topic, he or she would have access to everyone's in the class. See this article from Professor Cole Camplese at Penn State http://chronicle.com/blogPost/A-Professor-s-Tips-for-Using/3643 and this one about Assistant Professor David Parry at the University of Texas. http://chronicle.com/blogPost/A-Professor-s-Tips-for-Using/3643
That's an interesting perspective.

RSS

A Learning Revolution Project

Education Quotes & Commentary

Twitter Feed

© 2019   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service