Sir Ken Robinson makes an entertaining and profoundly moving case for creating an education system that nurtures (rather than undermines) creativity.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/ken_robinson_says_schools_kill_c...

This 19 minute, wonderful, entertaining and critical speech is the most convincing argument for the direction Future of Education, I have ever heard.

Views: 144

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I completely agree with you, Nurturing creativity is an element that has been lacking in system of education that we currently have .Education should be packaged in such away that it not only educates but should also help students discover the creativity that is inherently in them.

I agree. This is a wonderful TED talk and Ken Robinson is brilliant! Listening to him, it seems obvious that teachers (and parents) should cherish and nurture childrens' creative talents - and yet we get distracted by other 'more important' pursuits. I love it. I find myself thinking about this talk when I come across a child who isn't interested in maths but is an absolute star when it comes to acting out a story. 

If you haven't read The Element by Robinson, stop whatever you are doing right now and read it. It will take you less than 10 hours to read if you are a slow reader. I give the book as a gift to my favorite students as a graduation gift (I teach college).

There is not a job out there that isn't improved through the use of creativity, but almost any job can be botched by someone who is over "educated."

Standardized tests have generated standardized humans. Employers need individuals who can create, think and solve problems. Anyone can fix a standard problem, true success belongs to those who can solve a problem that nobody else can. That is the essence of creativity.

This is a great video. What struck me as someone who works in the public school system is that he was saying this in 2006 and here in 2013 school in my opinion has gotten worse not better:(

It is so frustrating that how we should be teaching school and what our students need is known but it is not implemented!

RSS

A Learning Revolution Project

Education Quotes & Commentary

Twitter Feed

© 2020   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service