Session Title: I speak meme!

Your Name: Nina Jerončič

Work Title: postgraduate student

School or Organization Name: /

Co-Presenter Name(s): /

Area of the World from Which You Will Present: Slovenia, EU

Language in Which You Will Present: English

Target Audience(s): intended mostly, but not exclusively for teachers working with teens and younger adults who wish to establish a better relationship with their students

Short Session Description (one line): understand and use memes in your classroom

Full Session Description (as long as you would like):

One does not simply understand the reference in this sentence without following the internet culture. Want to speak the English of your students like a boss? Do you want your students to stop trolling you, facepalming at you? Your argument for not joining this is invalid: YOLO!

Joke aside; many teachers of English as a foreign language, especially those who do not follow the trends of the internet, find themselves unable to understand certain words and phrases of the language they have devoted their lives to, while their students use it naturally and spontaneously. This presentation was created with the purpose of familiarizing all attendees with the concept of memes and with some of their most popular variations, and also to indicate their impact on the vocabulary as well as grammar of an average adolescent student. The aim is to give teachers the knowledge and tools to use memes in their classrooms to their own advantage, whether establishing good rapport, for classroom management, sparking discussions or revising grammar.

Websites / URLs Associated with Your Session: /

Nina Jerončič is a postgraduate student of English and German and a CELTA-certified teacher at the beginning of her professional path.

Views: 292

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nina!!

This is an AWESOME topic. As a redditor and internet geek I often find that educational professionals don't speak meme. BUT I dig that you are unpacking that for them!! Awesomesauce!

Tosca

Thank you :)

Also, my presentation is on Saturday 12th October at 16.00 CEST

RSS

A Learning Revolution Project

Education Quotes & Commentary

Twitter Feed

© 2019   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service