Is intelligence in the genes or can it be developed ? IQ tests may be passé but abilities do matter and undoubtedly talents have to identified and nurtured !

Based on my research on Current Research and Readings in Gifted education Summer Workshop 2013 course that I am taking at University of Iowa, I am giving a summary of the monograph article by Scientists / Researchers at American Psychological Association and Professors at Northwestern University's Centre for Talent Development and University of California, Berkeley. 

Rena F. Subotnik, Paula Olszewski-Kubilius, and
 Frank C. Worrell, (2011), Rethinking Giftedness and Gifted Education: A Proposed Direction Forward Based on Psychological Science  , Psychological Science in Public Interest,  Vol 12(1) 3–54

A comprehensive mega model for talent development has been presented by Subotnik et al (2011) which covers various domains like sports, music, academics etc and across various stages like childhood, adolescene and adulthood.  This model takes into account talent development models of the illustrious scholars like Bloom, Renzulli, Sternberg and others.

The monumental work by Subotnik et al articulates a unified vision of giftedness from the perspective of psychological science. It gives a upto date definition of giftedness which manifests in the early stages as potential and later as achievements and eventually as eminence. 

http://www.mypalonline.com/about-us/mypal-blogs/entry/is-intelligen...

Talent Development Model of Subotnik et al (2011)

Views: 352

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great Post.

I have 2 thoughts on this. First we can isolate the gifted kids and cater to them. This is pretty much what happens in many private schools. Second we can provide extra challenge for them in traditional public schools. I favor the second because I feel all students were born to be useful at something. Lesser students can be inspired by gifted students when parents and teachers encourage the gifted to help the others. This is not a full time issue but group projects should happen once a week with at least 2 subjects. I am all in favor of eliminating artificial barriers. Grouping by age & sex are artificial barriers. With each student working on individual computers with individual curriculum this is easy. The more the student has to work to master the subject the more they will learn.

Love & Peace, Deborah

RSS

A Learning Revolution Project

Education Quotes & Commentary

Twitter Feed

© 2019   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service