In Romania there is an interesting discussion regarding the evaluation of teachers’activity. I would very much appreciate if some of you can share with us the experience in your countries. Maybe these questions could be of help.
- How and when are teachers evaluated ?
- Who evaluates the teachers?
- What are the criteria for getting a job?
- What are the requests when applying for a job as a teacher?
- Who establishes the teacher’s salary?
Thanks Sebastian

Views: 546

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dear Sebastian,

i think that the question of the differences between our national educational systems is quite important to develop here... To built the future, maybe we have first to compare our different ways (global organization, curricula, pedagogy, working hours, ...). I have the intention here to build a working group about it, if i find teachers interested to share and work together...

About evaluation and about your questions i will give you very soon a precise report about the situation in France.

We have in France a very "hot" intellectual debate about what we call the "ideology of evaluation" linked to neocapitalism and globalization. If you read and understand french (i know that many romanian people speak french very well :) !) here is an abstract of this set of problems, published in the intellectual review Vacarme (Uproar in english):

Vacarme 44 / Summer 2008:

La fureur de tout évaluer est le poison du jour, et une parfaite idéologie, s’il est vrai qu’on mesure le caractère idéologique d’un discours à deux critères : d’une part à la redondance systématique des mêmes exigences dans les domaines les plus variés, d’autre part au faible nombre de ceux ou celles qui semblent y gagner quelque chose. On prétend ainsi évaluer les enfants dès la maternelle, pour prévenir leur présumée « dangerosité » sociale, puis chacun tout au long de la vie : à l’école, les élèves (rapport Benisti de novembre 2004) comme les professeurs (rapport Attali), à l’université (création de l’Aeres, Agence d’évaluation de la recherche et de l’enseignement supérieur, en 2006), dans l’entreprise (nouvelles techniques de management), dans le sport, à l’hôpital, dans la recherche, dans les pratiques les plus intimes, chez son psychanalyste (premier amendement Accoyer), sur le marché de l’art (pour obtenir des subventions publiques), et à l’horizon au sein de toute relation humaine (la socialité comme calcul). Ces pratiques ont un coût terrible : à évaluer chaque compétence, et actes scolaires, on éteint inventivité et plaisir du savoir ; à évaluer chaque travailleur, on pousse au conformisme, quand ce n’est pas au suicide (comme au technocentre de Renault à Guyancourt) ; à évaluer chaque scientifique à partir de la régularité de ses publications, on éteint d’avance le caractère collectif, disruptif et digressif de la pensée ; et à évaluer sans cesse ses analystes, ses amant(e)s, ses ami(e)s, on foudroie la vérité de toute rencontre véritablement humaine, c’est-à-dire son caractère singulier, absolument incomparable.

Vincent, Manosque, Provence, France
creator and admin of School Beyond the Walls
Thank you very much Vincent for your answer.
I know well franch. I was fiftheen years a go in Angers to the Licee Saint Agnes.
This subject is our lesson in a Comenius Multilateral PM theat will be in Romania in decemeber 2009.
We have more 20 answers about this subject including France here http://keycomp.wetpaint.com/ a school wiki. I can invite you on this web2.0 tool if you sented me your e-mail address.
A bientot,
Sebastian
What do folks here think about letting students evaluate their teachers on a regular basis, and have that feedback used as part of a teacher's overall evaluation? I am a parent and not a professional educator, but in my work in the business world, when I or anyone else leads a class or a workshop we routinely get feedback from the participants and that becomes an important part of our own job evaluation.
Really. I know.
Hi !

In my workplace in the Philippines, normally we evaluate teacher's performance on semestral basis . The teachers will be evaluated by their students, peers and the management. But when I finished doing my Assessing Learning in Spring Semester 2008 at UTS, Sydney, I came across with some strategies that certainly be helpful to our school.

In our system, normally we set criteria in hiring teachers. They are as follows : educational qualifications, work experience, IQ/EQ tests, class demonstration rating, personal interview and personality. Obviously the school management has the final say of the teacher's salary which is carefully considered by the former with various factors involved.
- How and when are teachers evaluated ?

We do have a simple quantative performance assessment questionnaire which is first filled by the teacher and later with the supervisor.There a some key factors we do look at for instance number of hours spent on teaching work,administrative work and any other work.Another part looks at behaviour attributes and values,performance,these are classified as Outstanding,Average or poor according to the score .We look at teachers attendence and Punctuality,Aspiration for excellence,Teamwork,Innovation,Having
fun,Respect for God and man,Cost Conscience.We there after give feed back after the evaluation encouranging each teacher to work upon any area of weakness and consolidate the strength.

Evaluations are undertaken after every end of term [3 Months].

- Who evaluates the teachers?

They first do self evaluation and there after a supervisor and teacher review the evaluation discussing why she/he awarded a certain score.The Supervisor will then also award a score and a comparison of total will be got.

- What are the criteria for getting a job?

We mostly depend on voluntarism and hand picked sourcing.The is so because we are not able to place radio or print advertisements.

- What are the requests when applying for a job as a teacher?

We look at the qualifications and the interest somebody has.

- Who establishes the teacher's salary?

The school appoints committee.
Thanks Martin for yours answers.
I posted this here http://keycomp.wetpaint.com/page/TEACHER+EVALUATION
What the language you use in schools ?
Best wishes
Sebastian
English of course!
We are thinking of interacting with you on a teacher exchange programme.Is this possible?

RSS

A Learning Revolution Project

Education Quotes & Commentary

Twitter Feed

© 2019   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service