The Flat Classrooms Debate, Live from Qatar and Philadelphia

(Recording links at the bottom of this post)

UPDATE: Tom Friedman, author of The World is Flat, will be speaking to the students in Qatar live the hour before this session and we will be streaming his talk as well. Details below.

UPDATE: Don Tapscott, author of Wikinomics and Grown Up Digital, also spoke to the students.

"The Flat Classroom Debates" live from Qatar and Philadelphia! on Saturday, January 24th, 2009. The debate topic is: "Education systems successfully prepare students for flat world global challenges."

Facilitated by Vicki Davis and Julie Lindsay, this session is a virtual link-up with the Flat Classroom Conference in Doha, Qatar and Educon 2.1 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA. This event is also our official kick-off event for our www.FutureofEducation.com interview series, sponsored by the KnowledgeWorks Foundation and with support from Elluminate!

There will an opportunity for audience members from all parts of the world to interact with the teams and ask questions. There will also be a final poll to determine a winning team of the debate. More information is at http://flatclassroomconference.wikispaces.com/Flat+Classroom+Debates.

Date: Saturday, January 24, 2009

Time:
6am Pacific / 9am Easter / 2pm GMT: Live stream of Tom Friedman addressing students (international times here)
7am Pacific / 10am Eastern / 3pm GMT: Flat Classroom Debates begin (international times here).

Location: In Elluminate. Log in at https://sas.elluminate.com/m.jnlp?sid=2008350&password=M.3969DF.... The Elluminate room will be open up to 30 minutes before the event if you want to come in early.

To make sure that your computer is configured for Elluminate, please visit http://www.elluminate.com/support. Video, audio, and chat recordings will be posted here after the show.

RECORDINGS
The full two hour Elluminate recording: Click here
Tom Friedman interview: Click here to download
Don Tapscott interview: Click here to download

Views: 3031

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for making this available to so many of us, unable to attend live. It make sit easy to share with our colleagues the great conversation taking place. :)
Steve

On behalf of the Flat Classroom Conference organisers I want to thank you for recording and sharing the sessions via this Ning. I found all sessions 'reasonable' in quality, but like you was disappointed with the overall results. In our own defense we were using good webcam equipment, and had good connectivity but Skype was more solid than the Elluminate session, the latter kept dropping out unfortunately.
I remember Vicki trying to maintain the Elluminate connection during the debate and me trying to keep the debate rolling, despite knowing you were dropping in and out...and then finding reassurance from Jock Schorger, my co-moderator, when he said, well at least we are trying to do something different, and if we don't try we will never know what the possibilities are or how we can make this better for next time.

So Steve, some tech issues, some human error issues....but I am pleased we did manage to get out there at a good enough quality for people to at least understand and appreciate the impact and opportunity it provided for the participants of the conference.

Don't give up on us Steve! Next conference we need our own tech crew/team outsourced from the start.....thinking out loud.
Yes, you guys are great! And I had several comments from folks who said, essentially: we know there were tech issues, but it was exciting to see the potential! Onward and upward!
Hello, I missed the debate where can i get recordings?
The links to the recordings are just above! :)

RSS

A Learning Revolution Project

Education Quotes & Commentary

Twitter Feed

© 2019   Created by Steve Hargadon.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service